Saturday, May 14, 2011

Horse riding


One of the things we are sure to miss about leaving small town Hungary is all the horses. It's not uncommon to pass horse-drawn wagons or bike through horse poo on the street, and all of us at some point or another have had an opportunity to ride.

One day, I took a bus with some DVK students to a place in Kaposvár where they come to practice riding on Wednesday afternoons, and I was unprepared for what I found: an enormous complex with 100 horses and numerous stables and outbuildings and vast fields, as well as two voluminous indoor arenas.
 

My own experience at the Horse Academy included riding the horse below at a trot, after which my legs -- thighs and calves -- burned for three days from lifting and lowering myself in the saddle, trying to catch the rhythm and succeeding for maybe a total of two minutes of the twenty.


The girls have also attended horse riding lessons every Wednesday. While two girls lounge, the third takes her turn on the horse, practicing balance and coordination exercises, and for the older girls, getting the feel of the trot.



Maisie is offering to give her perspective. I'll give her the last word:

It is very hard to do the trot, but not doing that is easy. ( Pluss riding a horse is very fun!)

No comments:

Post a Comment