Sunday, September 26, 2010

Sophie’s Blog: The First Day Of School

On the first day of school, Mama woke us up at 6:00 a.m., and drove us to Szulok. Children were holding the door for us as we walked in. Victor, one of the teachers, ran a “What’s your name” game in the school’s tiny gym. After that, we went to our first class. For me, the first class was Hungarian reading, and I was given a Hungarian dictionary which I tried to learn new words from, as the rest of the class read out of a work book. The next class was German, which I really enjoyed. When I had gym, we played dodge ball, and because I’m not very good at ball sports, and people kept throwing the ball at me, the ball touched me first. At about 12:15, one of the teachers called us in with two other boys to have lunch before the 1:00 bus came. The lunch was soup and a second course I can’t remember. The teacher (I don’t know how to spell her name) took us to the bus stop and got on the bus with us. Then we went  home and had a snack.

2 comments:

  1. Sophie, I love reading about your day. I picture you in my mind sitting at your desk reading the dictionary while your classmates are murmuring incomprehensibly around you. I smiled imagining you playing dodge ball and glad the ball just touched you and didn't hurt you. They were probably throwing it to you first because they wanted to reach out to you and couldn't do it so well with words; but you've got everyone's notice. I love you so and miss you. Grandma and I will see you soon.
    Love,
    Grandpa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Sophie, Your first day of school sounded very interesting. I was wondering if you'll have different classes each day and how often you will have Hungarian and German classes. It's wonderful that you are learning different languages already! Did both boys and girls play dodge ball? I used to get "tagged" with the ball alot when I was in school, but one gets better at dodging it with practice. By the way, Sophie, you look so beautiful in all your pictures! Thank you for the interesting blogs about your experiences--I'm looking forward to reading more! From your Grandma and Grandpa's friend, Kathleen

    ReplyDelete